Tuesday, June 21, 2011

GUEST HOUSE

Okay so I went back and read some of my blogs and yes I noticed some mistakes and typos.  I am usually bloggin while talking and listening to the other teachers.  So sorry for the mistakes!!  I am sure there will be more.
Some of you have asked about out accommodations---Ken Stamatis had described the Guest House as beautiful with marble floors.  Well let me just say that may have been where they stayed last year, but where we are this year not the same!!!  They do have nice hotels here, but because we needed a place to stay for so long and we wanted to save on money, we went a step down to a Guest House. For one thing, there are no mable floors, only painted cement floors! We have to share a room with someone and the rooms are very much like a college dorm.  Then two rooms share a bathroom. The place is run by girls training to be Catholic nuns.  So it is a very safe place.  Rustic would be a good way to describe it. 

Our bed is a three inch foam mattress which is not very easy to get comfortable on. The bathroom has a 2 x 2 foot shower and a toilet with no seat so we sit on the bowl—no kidding! If you look closely at the picture of  the toilet, we think there is a calcified turd in it. Sometimes we have warm water, sometimes we don’t, and sometimes we don’t have any water!!

We lock the door to our room whenever we leave of course, but tonight the key wouldn’t work and they had no extra key.  The live-in guard had to work on it for over two hours just to get it unlocked. So now we have a door with no lock on it.

The nuns do fix every meal for us. By the way, our dinner on Sunday was spaghetti noodles so sauce, rice, beans with carrots, and potatoes.  I don’t think I can lose any weight eating all those starches! Sometimes they serve meat, but it is not recognizable. I have eaten small amounts of it and I haven’t died yet.

They sent our clothes out to be washed—where we don’t know, but they came back clean enough.  When they wash our sheets and towels they hang them over the bushes and lay them on the ground to dry.

Of course, there is no air conditioning so we mostly sit out on the patio and talk, read or plan our lessons. The temperature is really very comfortable We sleep with the windows open every night, and we have to use a blanket to stay warm. The temperature is really very comfortable.  It is only in the classrooms, that it gets almost unbearable for me.

Sitting on the patio
I am already looking forward to the comforts of home!!!  We take so much for granted in America!!


My bedroom, the white balls above the beds are mosquite netting
to drape over you at night.  I don't use it because it would bother me!
This is the bathroom.The toilet with no seat.
If you look closely you will see
the clacifed turd!

No comments:

Post a Comment